Welcome to MilkyWay@home

Posts by GALAXY-VOYAGER

1) Message boards : News : N_body (Message 56179)
Posted 13 Nov 2012 by GALAXY-VOYAGER
Post:
It's really too early for me to tell if there has been any changes. I've only been using BOING Projects since 21st October 2012. I haven't had any noticable situations with M@H so far, except that the Time Remaining Clock has been Counting Upwards instead of Downwards, but this has been happening with other Projects too. I was informed in another Forum that it's Normal because thats the way The Program Works with the Tasks. However, I can't see why it should operate that way. Why would a Countdown Clock Count Upwards. Its like the timer on a Microwave Oven, for example, that has been set for 30 Minutes, but instead of it Counting Down to Zero Minutes, it Counts Upwards and the Remaining Time just gets Increases, as Time Passes By. Thank goodness that we can see that The PROGRESS Colum shows that The Percentage of Work Done is actually Increasing, therefore confirming that the Work unit is being Processed.
Also, the Elapsed Time Clock IS working Correctly, and DOES Increase as expected. So thats another thing that shows that its doing its job.

Anyway, I hope that thee changes you have made work the way you intend them too.
[/code]
2) Message boards : Number crunching : Interesting issue... (Message 56079)
Posted 4 Nov 2012 by GALAXY-VOYAGER
Post:
I have a Similar Problem, but was unable to find anywhere else to Query It.
In the TASKS Tab, the Elapsed Time is Increasing as it Progresses, which is obviously Correct. However, The REMAINING TIME (Estimated) is Also Increasing instead of Decreasing. This Problem originally Only Happening on COSMOLOGY@HOME Tasks (which I have Suspended); but now it is happening on EINSTEIN@HOME and MILKYWAY@HOME Projects. At the first sign of it happening with MW@H, I had 2 MW@H Tasks Running (One was Decreasing as it Processed, and the other was Increaing as it Processed). I therefore Suspended the MW@H Task which was Increasing in Elapsed Time, until the other one was Completed, and then Resumed it: WHEN I RESUMED THE TASK, IT DID COUNT DOWN (DECREASE) as Processing Time Passed. However, I now have only One MW@H and One E@H Running, and they are BOTH Increasing instead of Decreasing in Time Remaining. What's Causing This Situation.

Something else I just noticed ..... When I SUSPEND The E@H Task, and ONLY Run The MW@H Task, The Problem Ceases. The Remaining Time ACTUALLY DOES Decrease. This also happens when I SUSPEND MW@H and RESUME E@H. Additionally, when I RESUME Both MW@H Tasks and Run The 2 at the same time, One of Them Decreases, and The Other Increases (in remaining time).

Since typing the above Paragraphs, I have received 4 New SETI@HOME Tasks and have 2 of them Running successfully. I have Temporarily Suspended both of the other Project Tasks.

.................................................

UPDATE: ... This situation is getting Ridiculous. The SETI Tasks are now reacting in the same way (Remaining Time is Increasing instead of Decreasing). They Run Correctly for a few minutes, and then instead of Decreasing they Increase as the seconds pass by. Only 2 Tasks will RUN at The Same Time (This may be due to my Preferece Settings), so the when the 2 Tasks began to Increase in Remaining Time, I SUSPENDED them and Started to RUN the other 2. After a few minutes, they too Reversed and began to Count UP instead of Down. However, the PROGRESS (%) is Operating Correctly in either case: Therefore I have RESUMED the Task that has Progressed the highest Percentage, and left the others Suspended; but even by Only RUNNING One Task, it is Still INCREASING in Time Remaining, but it's easier to keep track of. I'll Alternated the Tasks and Run One at a time. Let's hope this works.
3) Message boards : Number crunching : Interesting issue... (Message 56077)
Posted 4 Nov 2012 by GALAXY-VOYAGER
Post:
I have a Similar Problem, but was unable to find anywhere else to Query It.
In the TASKS Tab, the Elapsed Time is Increasing as it Progresses, which is obviously Correct. However, The REMAINING TIME (Estimated) is Also Increasing instead of Decreasing. This Problem originally Only Happening on COSMOLOGY@HOME Tasks (which I have Suspended); but now it is happening on EINSTEIN@HOME and MILKYWAY@HOME Projects. At the first sign of it happening with MW@H, I had 2 MW@H Tasks Running (One was Decreasing as it Processed, and the other was Increaing as it Processed). I therefore Suspended the MW@H Task which was Increasing in Elapsed Time, until the other one was Completed, and then Resumed it: WHEN I RESUMED THE TASK, IT DID COUNT DOWN (DECREASE) as Processing Time Passed. However, I now have only One MW@H and One E@H Running, and they are BOTH Increasing instead of Decreasing in Time Remaining. What's Causing This Situation.

Something else I just noticed ..... When I SUSPEND The E@H Task, and ONLY Run The MW@H Task, The Problem Ceases. The Remaining Time ACTUALLY DOES Decrease. This also happens when I SUSPEND MW@H and RESUME E@H. Additionally, when I RESUME Both MW@H Tasks and Run The 2 at the same time, One of Them Decreases, and The Other Increases (in remaining time).

Since typing the above Paragraphs, I have received 4 New SETI@HOME Tasks and have 2 of them Running successfully. I have Temporarily Suspended both of the other Project Tasks.




©2021 Astroinformatics Group