Welcome to MilkyWay@home

Stalled task


Advanced search

Message boards : Number crunching : Stalled task
Message board moderation

To post messages, you must log in.

AuthorMessage
Odysseus

Send message
Joined: 10 Nov 07
Posts: 95
Credit: 9,184,857
RAC: 24
5 million credit badge10 year member badge
Message 589 - Posted: 25 Nov 2007, 23:26:17 UTC

My dual-G5 Mac was running for several hours on only one core because of a task that got stuck, gs_13_1196035221_6455_0. At the time I spotted it the CPU time was showing as “---” despite having been “Running” for quite a while. Activity Monitor showed astronomy 1.07 using between 60% and 80% of a CPU, considerably less than normal. According to the logs (which I can provide on request) this task started at the same time as another, which finished in the expected 3.5 minutes, but continued to occupy its core for much of the next eight hours (it was paused and resumed a couple of times, apparently cycling normally with other projects). When I suspended the task, the astronomy process continued to show about 7% CPU usage. Resuming it didn’t nudge it out of its rut, but when I quit & relaunched BOINC the task started and finished normally.

ID: 589 · Rating: 0 · rate: Rate + / Rate - Report as offensive     Reply Quote
ProfileTravis
Volunteer moderator
Project administrator
Project developer
Project tester
Project scientist

Send message
Joined: 30 Aug 07
Posts: 2046
Credit: 26,480
RAC: 0
10 thousand credit badge10 year member badge
Message 592 - Posted: 25 Nov 2007, 23:43:10 UTC - in response to Message 589.  

My dual-G5 Mac was running for several hours on only one core because of a task that got stuck, gs_13_1196035221_6455_0. At the time I spotted it the CPU time was showing as “---” despite having been “Running” for quite a while. Activity Monitor showed astronomy 1.07 using between 60% and 80% of a CPU, considerably less than normal. According to the logs (which I can provide on request) this task started at the same time as another, which finished in the expected 3.5 minutes, but continued to occupy its core for much of the next eight hours (it was paused and resumed a couple of times, apparently cycling normally with other projects). When I suspended the task, the astronomy process continued to show about 7% CPU usage. Resuming it didn’t nudge it out of its rut, but when I quit & relaunched BOINC the task started and finished normally.



Thats an odd one... there really isn't any spot the code could get into an infinite loop AFAIK. I'll take a look into it.
ID: 592 · Rating: 0 · rate: Rate + / Rate - Report as offensive     Reply Quote
Odysseus

Send message
Joined: 10 Nov 07
Posts: 95
Credit: 9,184,857
RAC: 24
5 million credit badge10 year member badge
Message 595 - Posted: 26 Nov 2007, 0:11:18 UTC - in response to Message 592.  

gs_13_1196035221_6455_0

Thats an odd one... there really isn't any spot the code could get into an infinite loop AFAIK. I'll take a look into it.

Thanks. It occurs to me that the problem may be related to the app’s interaction with BOINC, as the blank CPU time suggests that the computation never got properly under way. I’ve seen other projects’ apps stall similarly, just requiring a fresh launch of BOINC to resume, but usually with some time—sometimes a great deal!—showing on the clock.

I just noticed the task was still “Ready to report”, so I did an Update in case there’s anything of interest in the result’s output file: it should be available now.

ID: 595 · Rating: 0 · rate: Rate + / Rate - Report as offensive     Reply Quote

Message boards : Number crunching : Stalled task

©2019 Astroinformatics Group